Career with us | Hiring: Program Officer, Open Government
Thursday, May 1st, 2014 | Position Filled
Local Interventions Group is a southern non-profit working with data-driven solutions for smarter governance. We grew out of a student research seminar at the London School of Economics and launched programs in Nepal in September 2011. We take risks, we are willing to fail in pursuit of changing conventional behaviour in development sector, and we seek to enhance local input in development interventions.
LIG is looking for a dynamic, self-motivated individual with experience in the governance sector to serve as Open Government Program Officer in Kathmandu. You will possess outstanding interpersonal skills, especially communications and relationship management. An ability to work independently and perform as a self-starter who can take initiative with minimal supervision is essential, as is an ability to work under pressure and on a range of tasks and meeting deadlines.
- Identifying key personnel within current OGP countries and aspiring OGP governments worldwide.
- Supporting outreach to governments in Nepal and Pakistan
- Liaise with Pakistan Open Government Team Leader in Islamabad and support Pakistan operations
- Conducting outreach and building strong relationships with civil society, the private sector, sub-national and multi-lateral entities
- Collecting information and updates on Open Government initiatives globally.
- Liaising with the OGP Networking mechanism
- Supporting media outreach, arrange meetings and consultation sessions with the media, donor community in Nepal, local civil society etc
- Identify stakeholders across the sectors and maintain regular communication
- Helping develop new programs
- Providing support for LIG's Open Government program's continued institutional development and operations, including through policy drafting/research and donor outreach and reporting
- Providing other strategic advice and support as needed
- Maintain LIG Open Government blog by identifying and liaising with new contributors
- Advanced degree or equivalent experience in international affairs or relevant field (e.g. political science, law, economics)
- A minimum of 5 years experience in the governance field, with a focus on transparency and accountability-related initiatives
- Experience working with/for international multi-stakeholder governance initiatives
- Experience undertaking high-level advocacy and outreach with governments, the private sector, international financial institutions and the donor community
- Ability to work flexibly and independently on tight timelines with a wide range of team members around the world
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Some management experience, including strategic planning, fundraising, and budget oversight highly desirable
- A strong familiarity with international and local civil society networks working on governance issues across a range of sectors highly desirable
- Proven ability to think strategically, innovate, learn fast and interact with a multitude of stakeholders, and deliver outcomes
- Possess exceptional interpersonal skills, including relationship building, communication skills, and partnership development
Details and How to Apply
- Position is based in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Legal status to work in the US or the UK required
- Application is open until the post is filled.
- Preferred start date is February 2012.
- Compensation commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package. See Our Talent Management Style
- To apply, please send a resume and cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position. Applications must be submitted by email to email@example.com with the subject title "Program Officer Application." No telephone calls.